Thursday, July 7, 2011

Clutter Control

As if I didn't have enough things burdening my brain these days, I have decided to tackle my clutter.  I pinpointed 3 problem areas where things tend to just pile up.  Do you have any spots like that?  I did not have the foresight to take 'before' pictures, so I only have the 'afters'....
Here we have the kitchen counter.  This is our communication center.  I tend to hoard pens and pencils and scraps of paper, yes, scraps. Waste not, want not, right?  I'm not even sure what that means, just that it applies to my scraps of paper.  Anywho, this area tends to pile up quickly with other papers that need to be filed elsewhere, toys, rocks and any other items confiscated from children, etc.
This is my supposed crafting table in our office...otherwise known as the table that holds everything that doesn't have a home.  It's such a source of frustration because it's so easy to throw things on it and leave the room.  Outta sight, outta mind, right?  I got a million of 'em.
Here, we have my dresser in our room.  Most of the time, the top cannot be seen.  It tends to get covered with things that need to go downstairs, but quickly get forgotten about.  What goes up must come down, right?  Wait...that's not right.  oh well...

So, I have committed to let ANYTHING sit on these surfaces that doesn't belong there!  I will be implementing the concept of 'O-H-I-O', Only Handle It Once.  If something has a home, it needs to go there immediately.  If it doesn't have a home, I will make one for it.  Since Trey and I will (most likely) be going to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to continue Trey's treatment for more than a month, I really felt like it would be a gift for Jay to NOT have to look at my clutter the whole time we're gone.  (It really is only my clutter!)

On a completely unrelated note, I read about a new hipster phenomenon called 'the Monkey Tail' and I challenged our friend, Drew, to grow one...and he did!!!  And it was great!
Can you see the monkey tail?  Awesome sauce!

4 comments:

Crafty P said...

that clutter control is amazing! I like that OHIO idea. I will try it. I think Vinny will like it, too, b/c he's a big Ohio State fan.

in other news, the monkey tail rocks. I mean rocks. what a guy!

HannahBear said...

I'm not sure which makes my heart sing more - the organization you have going on OR the monkey tail. Come on, this is Hannahbear speaking, so I'm gunna say I love the organization more, but that monkey tail is a very close second.

Jay said...

There was clutter? Drew is single and willing to grow a monkey tail for any fine Christian woman.

Happy said...

We have several areas in need of clutter control. And I've just resigned myself to it, I think.

I'm sure when Noah starts school here I'm going to need to implement the O-H-I-O process, though. And it only makes sense to have it fully implemented for the start of school so...

Dang it, Rachel. Now I gotta go clear some clutter.

And ask Derek how he feels about the monkey tail...