Friday, November 25, 2011

Bella's Beautiful Bedroom

Whew!  It's been a busy time around here.  With what, you ask?  Well, mainly, Bella's bedroom needed to be totally redecorated.  Allow me to set the scene...Our house has 3 bedrooms, though the third may or may not be an actual bedroom depending on which home assessment you look at.  It is teeny tiny and does not have a closet (that's why it's sometimes not considered a bedroom).  Anywho, this room started out as our home office then morphed into a nursery.  It's the perfect size for a crib and changing table.  I carefully picked a gender neutral brick red, navy blue and cream color scheme (because the room already had a dark blue carpet).  The room was so cozy and warm and dark.  Perfect for rocking and nursing.  When Bella came along, Joe moved into the second bedroom.  Then when Trey came along, Bella bunked in Joe's room.  As the kids got older, we felt that it would be good to have a boys room and a girls room.  Bella moved back into the nursery and Trey moved in with Joe.  Bella has clearly outgrown my Americana obsession with stars, so from top to bottom, her room has been transformed.  Most of the artsy ideas came straight from Pinterest....enjoy the pics!  They're not great pictures, but you'll get the gist.

This bed was a labor of love!  I sanded it, sawed it, painted, and built the headboard.  The drawers are huge and make up for the lack of closet space.

Here's Bella's vanity table (sorry about the pajama top!).  Isn't that headband tower cute?  A friend made that!  And the frame was super simple to make....just hot glue ribbons in an empty frame and viola!


Cute little art wall.  The stars were red, white and blue...easy change to simple white.  I painted and stenciled the plywood, and Bella wrote the words.  I love that she help create the art!  The letter "B" was made with a combo of puffy paint and Elmer's glue, then mod podeged onto canvas (seriously easy!).

I bought silver trays at my favorite antique store and painted them with chalkboard paint.  Super easy, super fun.  The dresser was a basic cherry wood from Target, painted Mickey's Shadow gray with the drawer fronts painted with chalkboard paint.

And bookshelves for good measure.  Since taking this picture, the corners have been covered to prevent bleeding head injuries and I glued ribbon to edge to spice it up a bit.  Like I said, the pictures don't really do the color justice.  The walls are painted in Princess Tiara pink, also from the Disney collection.  That's what I've been doing.  Oh yeah, and recovering the dining room chairs, hosting Thanksgiving, etc,etc.

Bonus!!!!  Remember  my friend Drew's "monkey tail" beard??  Well, he did it again!  This beard is called "Oh no!  My beard fell off!" and it's just great...

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I love that the girlie decorating post ends with a picture of drew's beard! It all look great...I'm sure she's thrilled with her new special room-especially bc she got to help create it (and bc her mom worked so hard on it!) good work...now go nap!

Liz Chapman said...

Love love love the room! Good job Mama!

Nancy Hutson said...

You are so talented. Wow, Bella you have a priceless treasure there.
Sweet dreams in that beautiful "Bella" room

Happy said...

Bella's new room looks perfect for a little girl! I love the "IN THIS HOUSE WE...." poster. I mean, I realize I'm complimenting that over you know, a personally designed headboard that just takes the cake, but I'm centering on the sentiment/thought aspect of the poster.

Way to reuse and create so much on your own! I'm sure that makes it so much more special and gets you more bang for your buck! I'm always so amazed at people who can just create a room!

We are in the same position over here in that Noah and Caroline share a room (so it's nothing too girly or too boyish) and Katie sleeps in Hannah and Abby's room during the week and our room on the weekends. She's a vagabond, but doesn't care so long as she's got someone or something soft to snuggle up to!

Can't wait to decorate a girly room someday!