Monday, January 17, 2011

A Stitch in Time

Every once in a while, I get a bee in my bonnet about wanting to do something, go somewhere, learn something, build something.  While I was pregnant with Trey, I had a hankerin' to learn to knit.  I envisioned all the free time I would have on my hands since all a new baby does is sleep, right?  What was I thinking?  Free time?  Really?  I don't know what happened to my brain, but I still wanted to learn how to knit.  For Christmas that year, my aunt got me a knitting starter kit.  Saaaa-weeeet!  Immediately, I got a skein of ugly green yarn and set to work.  Using only a book with pictures and descriptions, I did it!  I made a rectangle!  And a square!  And a single strand!  Then I put the needles down and picked up a baby, drove kids to school and baseball games and Science Fairs and family functions...yada, yada, yada.

But!  After the last stay at the hospital, I realized I needed something more to do than read and try to watch a muted t.v. while Trey slept.  Both activities were starting to hurt my eyes.  Today, Bella and I hit up Pat Catan's, which is an awesome mega craft store.  I had already picked a blanket pattern, so I let Bella pick the yarn and got a fancy circle needle thing-a-ma-jig....

I'll let you know how it goes!  Any tips???

5 comments:

Happy said...

I just looked up the word skein so I'm doubting my ability to offer up tips. But you're one of those super smarty pants-es that will grasp it quickly, I'm sure.

It sounds very Laura Ingalls-Wilder-esque. In a super hip way, of course. Knitting is like the new Sudoku or something. Sadly, I can't Sudoku either....

Well, I'm pretty good for nothing, aren't I?

Katy said...

my best tip would be to join ravelry.com--it's the facebook of yarn people. there are patterns and forums on there so you can get your questions answered in the middle of the night. and brag about your completed projects to people who definitely care! of course, i always care about yarn, so i am proud of your square.

Courtney said...

Aw, fun! I learned to crochet, and was really into that for a hot minute, but I've never tried knitting. So I'm no help at all...but I'll be proud of whatever you do!

Jennifer said...

I have always admired those who can knit. Knit blankets and hats are just the best because they are made with so much love! I can't wait to see your amazing creations.

Crafty P said...

Tried it and grew weary. ANother time for me. Ravelry is the site I mentioned to you as well. And then once you're there, go to groups and look up Bloomin Yarns (that shop right by me). My friend Melanie has her creations posted there- snowalot. Happy Knitting!