Thursday, August 1, 2013

"D" is for Delighted!

Well, color me tickled...errrr, delighted!!  (I'm totally twisting this to fit my alphabet list of blog posts)

My friend, Katy, has included lil' ol' me in her list of nominees for a Liebster award.  What the what???  First of all, how Katy finds time to blog, let alone recognize other bloggers is impressive to me.  Katy is a full time mom, wife and writer (and knitter, volunteer, friend...not in that particular order).  Her blog is honest, raw, vulnerable and funny all at the same time.  She'd be a perfect guest blogger for Courtney's Show Your Real series.  Katy has some real and is not afraid to show it.

Secondly, what's a Liebster??  Oh, it's a thing, people!  A Liebster award is a way to give recognition to other small bloggers (200 or fewer followers).

So, thank you to Katy for the recognition!  I wish I blogged more often, but it still feels good to have a friend give ya a pat on the back.
When you’re nominated for a Liebster, here’s what you do:
1.    Thank the Liebster Blog presenter who nominated you and link back to their blog.
2.    Nominate 11 blogs who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen.
3.    Answer the 11 questions you were asked and create 11 questions for your nominees.
4.    Display the Liebster Award logo.
5.    No tag backs, meaning you can’t just re-nominate the person who nominated you.

Here are the 11 questions I was given:
1. What sort of milk do you prefer to drink?  Ummmm, I do not drink any milk ever...not cow, coconut or almond kinds.  If I had to, I would pick 2% for cereal purposes only...or baking.  You use milk for baking, right?
2. Do you prefer baths or showers and why?  Showers, absolutely!  I hate baths!  I feel like I'm sitting in a pool of my own filth in a tub. Or worse, someone else's filth.  Plus, I'd have to stand up, turn the shower on to wash my hair...I'm too lazy for all that.
3.  What percentage cocoa do you prefer your chocolate to contain?  Ummm, I had to read this a few times to understand it.  Never have I ever paid a lick of attention to percentage of chocolate.  So, my answer is, however much is in a Caramello Bar.
4. What is your about-to-begin-the-workday ritual?  Since my job is a full time Momma and every day is different, coffee is really my only ritual.  Oh yeah, and feeding children, getting them dressed etc.  If we have to be somewhere, I'll use the time they are eating to get myself put together.
5. Describe your perfect lunch meal.  The perfect lunch is one that someone else has prepared.
6. What are your thoughts on flavored dental floss?  I'm not against flavored floss (I heart cinnamon), but someone that I live with, possibly married to, has very specific requirements for his floss.  Jay...Mr. Mitlo...rats!  That guy I'm married to cannot have any type that shreds or conflicts with other flavors or makes a noise.  Since he's the more dedicated flosser, he gets to pick the brand.
7.  What is the most important thing about a dwelling? (Bonus: does your dwelling succeed at this thing?)  The most important thing about a dwelling to me is that it feels safe.  Not so much from a security stand point, though that's important, but I mean that someone could come into our home and feel free to be comfortable, share thoughts and feelings, feel like they have been cared for.  Our children sleep in peace, without fear, talk openly with us, and we always look forward to coming home after having been gone.  So, yes, I think our house succeeds in this.
8. Do you really untie your shoes before you remove them? Every time?  Never.
9. What is your goal in blogging?  I think my goal for blogging now is to get memories/thoughts/stories/snippets of time out of my head and somewhere permanent. At one time, I would have said my goal was to inspire and challenge (and maybe impress), but then real life came down hard and I can't seem to find the right words ever to encompass all that.  So, I'm fine with sharing anecdotes.
10. What part(s) of your current life is/are the way you imagined when you were in middle school?  Exactly zero parts.  I was a bad kid, a bully really, and couldn't see past to the end of a day, let alone years ahead.  My days were consumed with trying to figure out how to be a bad ass.  (Hint:  If you have to think about it, you're not)  I guess if I look back and think real hard I maybe wanted to live in a big city and be a news anchor. Instead, I've lived in exactly 2 houses, both planted squarely in suburbs, and am a SAHM.  It's a close call, really.
11. What would you say to your young self if you encountered her on her first day of college?  I would say, "Hang in there, kid.  Things are going to unfold in ways that you can't imagine.  Quit trying to control everything, for cryin' in a bucket!  Remember, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"  (Jeremiah 29:11)"

So, now for my nominees.  This was interesting to me because I realized how few blogs I read regularly.   Katy's being one of them and I can't tag her back!  Almost all the blogs that I follow are written by real life friends.  Some of them may have more than 200 followers.   After all, some of them may have been featured in a major magazine!  Please take no offense to my nomination...just have fun with it!

1.Bowdenisms
2. She's a Crafty Pumpkin
3. agentorange
4. Happy and Co.
5. Just a Glimpse...

That's my list...I can add to it once other bloggers get blogging and update their blogs.  Blog.

My 11 questions for my nominees are:
1. In what type of car did you take your drivers test? (and, did you pass the first time?)
2. Where would like to spend your retirement years?  Hometown? Exotic location?
3. What's your favorite vacation memory?
4. Who was your favorite teacher (any level of education)?
5. What's your least favorite household chore and why?
6. If you could go back to high school, would you do things the same or vastly different?
7. What sports did you play?
8. What's your beverage of choice?  Pop, tea, coffee?
9. Music or talk radio?
10. How many shows are saved on your DVR right now? (or Netflix queue or whatever space age contraption you use)
11. What's one movie that you have to stop and watch if you see it while scrolling through?


5 comments:

Crafty P said...

aw, how nice. I love that as I read these questions she posed to you, I knew some of the answers and LOLed. As for the questions YOU are posing... man, you always make me think about the past and things I have to ask people like YOU for the answers!!! I have no idea what car I may have used and have trouble remembering teacher's names (gasp!).

anyway, fun times. thanks!

Happy said...

How fun! I can't wait to participate!

I cannot cannot cannot imagine you a bully. Just cannot.

Love your idea what makes your home a success! I bet it has been achieved in your home also.

Rachel said...

Oh, Happy. I can assure you that I was a nasty child. I regret it greatly and wish I could go back and do things differently. Good thing for me that God is in the business of changing hearts. Can't wait to read your answers!

Courtney said...

Thanks for the nod! I'll try not to let it go to my head that you put me in the top spot. ;) Sorry I just now made it over here to read this. But you cracked me up as always...caramello bar-YES! (And baths skeeve me out too!) loved hearing snippets of you...you have a knack for representing your voice on "paper"...very funny and very YOU.

Jennifer said...

Oh my. I love reading your answers!

I get nervous being tagged in these things. Plus I don't even know who I'm going to tag back. Hm... I'm on it. Ready, set, go...