Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Duck Incident

As Jay and I (and the rest of the Facebook community) relive our trip to Disney through 764 pictures, we often land on the topic of 'what was THE best part' or 'what was THE worst part' of the trip.  There are so many great moments and I will share those, too.  But, I wanted to put on the record the worst part of the trip for me.

It was our first day at the park.  We went to the Magic Kingdom.  The day was really hot, much hotter than we anticipated (and yes, I know we were in Florida, duh!).  Joe's feet hurt, my neck was sunburned, everyone was hot and sticky.  But!  We were still pushing through all that and having fun, enjoying rides and sights and shows.  For lunch, we found a cute place that sold hot dogs and fries.  Perfect and simple.  Jay stood in the food line, while I tried to find Joe a new pair of sunglasses for less than an arm and a leg.  No luck there, so we headed to back to help with the food.  There was no seating inside, so we moved out to the patio area.  This is when things start to go down hill.  People are sitting at the tables with no food.  They are saving the table while someone else gets the food.  Ugh!  So annoying!  You can't save tables in a place like that!  To make it worse, people can clearly see the 5 of us roaming, looking for an open table, carrying our tray, balancing water bottles....So, we grumpily find a spot on the sidewalk next to the building.  The good thing is that it's shaded, the bad thing is that you can't convince me that someone hasn't thrown up on the ground in that exact spot.  No amount of hand sanitizer can comfort me.  To add to the anxiety, Joe is freaking out about the birds.  What are they?  Sea gulls?  Ducks?  Bald Eagle?  They swooped down and swipe any crumb off the ground, then tell their friends about it so that they come lookin'.  We assure Joe that as long as he doesn't feed the birds, they won't come near him.  He eats huddled in the corner of the building using his baby brother as a shield from the birds.  There's a family sitting on the curb, who like us, have given up finding a table without having to start a fight in the happiest place on earth.  As we are finishing up, the youngest child of the other family starts to actually feed to birds!  Jay and I look at each other, then try to make eye contact with the parents of the bird feeder.  They must have been distracted by Joe's whimpering, because they won't look at us.  The little girl keeps backing up as more and more birds start to gather near her.  To our further chagrin, she's backing up into our little area!  Still, the parent do nothing!!!  Jay and I hurry to gather garbage and extract all the kids from what has become the unhappiest corner on earth.  Jay pushes the stroller away quickly, dragging Bella by the arm.  I follow behind pulling Joe with me.  The little bird feeder has now trapped a huge duck in the corner that we just vacated and just as we pass by, the duck FLIES STRAIGHT AT US!!!  It's wing brushed my arm!!!  Have we talked about how much I hate birds???  So, here I am gripping Joe's hand for dear life and of course, I scream!  To make it even worse, the parents were giggling at my distress.  Ugh!  I hate birds!  p.s. Don't save tables!  And, don't feed the birds!

*please know that I am extremely thankful that the worst part of the trip for me was a 10 minute window of time where no one was hurt or sick or lost*

1 comment:

Crafty P said...

I always forget about your dislike of all things aviary. Shame. I love birds, I'm constantly looking up in the trees for the falcons and hawks on our way to school.

that said, I would have been freaked out too by that incident... a little too big of a bird and a wee bit too close for comfort.